Mechanical and Electrical, refers to these aspects of building design and construction. In commercial buildings these aspects are often designed by an engineering firm specialising in MEP. MEP design is important for design decision-making, accurate documentation, performance and cost-estimation, construction planning, managing and operating the resulting facility.
We use Building Categorised Revit software to design M&E.
Mechanical and electrical systems are an important part of building services and can have many different functions.Typically designed by specialised consultants and contractors, M&E systems can present complex challenges in terms of coordination and detailing. They must satisfy multiple objectives and criteria for design, installation, commissioning, operation, and maintenance. Some of the challenges involved include:
- Spatial co-ordination; avoiding hard and soft clashes.
- Multiple parts functioning effectively together as a single system.
- Complex installation, testing operation and maintenance procedures.
Heating and Cooling Services
Heating in buildings may be necessary to:
- Create comfortable conditions for occupants.
- To prevent condensation.
- For activities such as drying and cooking.
- For industrial processes.
In commercial buildings, heating and cooling for comfort might be provided alongside other building services in heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems.
Examples of fuels and heat sources include:
- Solid fuel – timber, coal, peat, biomass.
- Liquid – oil, liquid petroleum gas (LPG).
- Gas – natural gas, biogas.
- Electricity – grid, wind turbines, hydroelectricity, photovoltaics.
- Water – solar thermal, geothermal, ground source, water source.
- Air source.
- Heat recovery.
- Passive – solar gain, thermal mass.
- Internal heat loads – heat generated by people and equipment.
Heat sources and fuels can be used to generate heat by:
- Solid fuel burners.
- Combined heat and power (CHP) plant.
- Electrical heaters.
- Gas heaters.
- Heat pumps.
Heat generators can be local to the demand for heat, or can be centralised and distributed, either within a single building or on a wider basis as part of a district heating network. Heat distribution can be by:
- Air blown through ducts, plenums or occupied spaces.
- Water pumped through pipework.
- Steam distributed through pipework.
- Passive air movement.
- Passive diffusion of heat through thermal mass.
Cooling or HVAC
It can be necessary to provide cooling to buildings during warm weather, or where there are significant thermal gains (such as solar gain, people and equipment). This cooling is sometimes referred to as comfort cooling. Cooling may also be necessary for refrigeration or for some industrial processes.
- Active cooling can be provided by:
- Earth-to-air heat exchanger (ground coupling)
This draws ventilation supply air through buried ducts or tubes (sometimes referred to as earth tubes). As the temperature of the ground below level is practically constant, it can be use to substantially reduce ambient air temperature fluctuations, with the incoming air being heated in the winter and cooled in the summer.
Mechanical Electrical Services
Electrical systems might include:
- Power supply and distribution.
- Information and telecommunications systems.
- Control systems.
- Security and access systems.
- Detection and alarm systems.
- Interior and exterior lighting.
Clearly there is a great deal of overlap between mechanical and electrical systems, with many systems including both mechanical and electrical components, hence the term M&E (mechanical and electrical).
- Dedicated Circuits
Electricity Wiring, testing and commissioning
Home Automation systems including PA and Audio
Troubleshoot Electrical Problems
Exterior and Landscape Lighting
Outdoor Security Lighting
Lighting and Chandelier Installation
Panel & Subpanel Changes and Upgrades
Smoke, Heart and Carbon Detectors
Plumbing refers to any system that allows the movement of fluids, typically involving pipes, valves, plumbing fixtures, tanks and other apparatus. Plumbing systems might be used for:
- Heating and cooling.
- Waste removal.
- Potable cold and hot water supply.
- Water recovery and treatment systems.
- Rainwater, surface and subsurface water drainage.
- Fuel gas piping.
- Water Heater Repair
Sump Pump Repair
Sewer and Drain
Water Treatment and Conditioning
Faucets, showers & toilets
Fire & freeze protection systems
Sinks and Tubs